Saturday, December 15, 2012

3D Scalloped Circle Technique - slot punch

It's technique/tip week at Joy's Life design team blog...
have you seen the fab creations?
   Recently a friend asked me to create a "flat" card for
easy mailing.

Funny how my style has changed; I used to plan all of my cards around easy mailing and now I just don't concern myself with it. 

Creating an easy-to-mail card with some 3D appeal seemed
like a monumental task!

I noticed this sweet "Hugs & Kisses" font and 
immediately thought to make my first Valentine
for the upcoming winter from "Wintery Puns":


3D Scalloped Circle Technique tutorial:
  1. Using a circle punch or die cutting system, cut a 2 1/4" circle.  (You could use Creative Memories green blade and the medium circle OR your Cricut machine and the "center point" function.)
  2. Insert slot punch, sliding up ~ 1/8" up from the edge of your circle; start at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock.
  3. Add two more punches in between each of the four existing slots.
  4. Cut a 2 1/2" circle as your "window"; I like the contrast of the white and black card stock.
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!  Thanks for stopping by.

Supplies:
sentiment stamp:  Joy's Life "Wintery Puns"
decorative paper:  Artful Delight kit (February 2012)
scalloped rectangle:  Cricut cartridge "Elegant Edges" cut @ 5 1/4"
slot punch:  Stampin' Up!
xoxo:  Making Memories alpha stickers 7/16" Handwriting Black

Happy Saturday!

10 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Great tutorial...neat technique! Love the result! Lee-Ann :)

~amy~ said...

How clever are you? this is fantastic June! I'm definitely on the USPS friendly kick these days but probably go back to my regular ways in 2013:)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeee this!! I am LOVING how you made the flower from the same papers!!!!

MS said...

I love this! I'm looking forward to breaking out the lovey dovey cards! I used to care about mail-able cards too, then I just bought a HUGE box of bubble mailers and now I just don't care! They only take one stamp too! Most of the time!

And I think you just rocked my world big time! I've always punched 3/4" circles to make scallops but now my world will fall apart if I don't get that slot punch! You're a genius!! Thanks for the tut!

Julie M said...

Hi June, sorry I haven't popped by your blog in ages. Have just looked back at all your posts and tutorials, such lovely projects. I love this card, especially that clever punch technique - when I looked first I was sure it was some kind of special part-punch die, and I'm happy it's not, 'cos I can try it!!!

Julie xx

Dixie Cochran said...

You are so smart!! Thanks for the terrific tutorial!

Missy said...

Super card June, I like how your sentiment really pops off the monochromatic card base!!

Maria Matter said...

what a fun idea June, love this!!
I have that punch...I'm making a note to give this a try!
:)
hugs & blessings!
Merry Christmas!

Court said...

Love your tutorial and love you!!!

Rose said...

yay for you making a mailer friendly cute card :) and thanks for the tut!!!