Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Faux Tile technique - making use of sticker stash


   Do you hoard your old stash or donate it?  I do a little of both.  And I have some that I keep, yet have not used in years...and it haunts me.  These Creative Imaginations stickers were haunting me:

 
  The first (and only) time I used them was for a Mother's Day card I made in 2008.  Yep.  Old stash.  I thought I could use up those last four pink and orange-yellow squares, but update them by turning them into tiles.  I came across some tiny butterflies that I had punched from K& Co. "Que Sera Sera" and put into a tiny ziploc bag when I was actually looking for something else.  I put the butterfly bag on my craft table before I had a chance to forget I had them.

  Faux tile tutorial:
I carefully snipped the four sticker squares apart, then separated them on the sticker sheet by placing them in another open spot.  Then I added glossy accents to each square to make it look like a tile.  I carefully placed a butterfly in the wet glossy accents, then added a little more glossy accents to the butterfly.  They took about 2 hours to dry.

  Time to make a card!  Uh oh...I donated my "Que Sera Sera"papers in my craft room purge last year...but the butterflies are tiny enough to match something else, right?  I found a good match with my BasicGrey "Indian Summer" pad.  I used Spellbinders Nestibilities squares to cut the window and frame in the large pennant.  The smaller banner is a PTI die.  The sentiment is a rub-on by American Crafts "Ginger".

  Except for the PTI small banner die, everything I used to make this card is from 2008 or 2009.  Old stash, but not seriously old (I still have stuff from 1998 when I started crafting!)  If your old stash haunts you too, I hope you participate in the weekly challenges at SOS (Shopping Our Stash.)  It assuages my guilt a little to use my older stash and I like to challenge myself by trying to take the old and use current trends to make it feel new.  This week's SOS challenge:

I went horizontally across the bottom row:
sparkle/sentiment/yellow

  I hope this inspires you to use your stickers or something from your older stash.

Happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

~amy~ said...

genius...I probably have those very same stickers. I love how you've revitalized them!

snappy scrappy said...

Neat idea to use them up! Lee-Ann :)
oops...forgot to say...pretty card!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You totally ROCKED those old stickers!!!! This looks AMAZING!! I absolutely loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the colors!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

Carissa said...

Great card friend love the technique. And thanks for inspiring me to use some old stuff. I'm a terrible hoarder too!

jimlynn said...

Great technique and a fabulous card!!! Love the design and papers you used too. Wonderful way to use up those stickers!
Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash.
Lynn

Linda Breedlove said...

Way to go, June, and what a clever technique. Love those fall colors!!!
Hugs!

Danni said...

How clever! I haven't looked at my stickers for years...might have to pull them out! Wonderful card!

Linda said...

I am loving all the ideas to use what you have and recreate it. This is a wonderful idea. It is so much fun to get more use out of your old stuff. I am having a lot of fun doing swaps at YPP.
Your card is wonderful and I love the faux tile.

Missy said...

So pretty June, the tile looks so elegant! I'm kind of-ish hoarding...I do have some stuff I need to donate, that's for sure!!! ;)

Heather said...

Hi June, hope all with you is well.
I love your fabulous CAS card, your Indian Summer paper are fabulous and I love the sweet image.

hugs
Heather xx

lauren bergold said...

a BRILLIANT use of stash (& of tic-tac-toe strategy!) and a verrrrry cool tutorial! as usual, you are ALWAYS thinking (& crafting!) smarter!!! ♥♥♥

Glimpses of My Heart said...

June - Very inspirational!! What a great idea for the stickers! Love that idea! And you rock at saving and using your stash! ;) Thanks so much for joining us at SOS this week. Can't wait to see what you have for us next week!
Blessings,
Michelle

CarlaKH said...

Well how clever are you! I love this card! Too cute. Thanks for joining us at SOS!

MS said...

Crafters don't "hoard", we "collect". Ha! And yes I own a LOT of collect items. *Fist bump* for using your stash :)